While, I very rarely get political in my business practices I must admit I have become very intrigued by the "Occupy Movement". I also admit, I do not fully comprehend the (far too) many causes they are "voice protesting". But, you must admit, they are sweeping (no euphemism intended) cities large and small. If there is one common denominator in their movement it is the protest of real and perceived injustices, mistakes, mismanagement, unequal treatment of workers, big budgets, and etc,etc,etc. Unfortunately, I believe they lack a clear concise marketing message. One that has marketable, measurable, and deliverable results.
Those who follow this page know my formative years were the 60's. Yes, I experienced "real" protest movements- Hawks vs Doves, Hardhats vs Hippies, Parents vs Youth, Free Love & Speech vs Richard Nixon. The 60's were full of protests, sit-ins and "hard-core" movements for true social and political change. Hell, most of the CEO's and top managers in the corporations the Occupy Movement is trying to change, grew up in the 60's and may have even carried those love and peace, stop the war protest signs! My generation knew how to protest, sit down, demonstrate and in effect get things done.
Honestly speaking, I do miss the 60's and can "sympathize with today's "Occupy People", they just need to understand "how to promote a message for change" and get real results. Of course in that never ending means to recapture my youth, I think I see a good that I personally am going to undertake from all this occupy stuff.
I am starting today an"Occupy MY Business" a movement for change! Smaller, Yes but Necessary.
Yes, you heard it here, I am going to "sit in", "protest" in my own company lobby and move for change in OUR (My) business. While I am not pulling out my tie dyed tee shirts, head bands, or playing the 3 J's ( Janis, Joni, & Jimmie) I am going to start my own Protest, excuse me, my own Occupy Movement. We will have a clear concise message with measurable and deliverables. OCCUPY MY Business. . .
I will camp out in the office, sing songs in protest, and seek out others in our firm who will undertake our own INTERNAL change movement, we may even carry a banner if necessary all with one clear objective. .. Change For Good. .
OCCUPY MY Business- Small, But Necessary, Pay It Forward
- We will improve client services; deliver projects on time, to spec, and within budget.
- We will treat all clients equally regardless of the size of their billings.
- We will seek to reduce voice mail messages and answer our phones.
- We will internally look for ways to save money, improve operations, and of course get our coffee and bagel budget under control.
- We will do more listening before we pitch.
- We will not get our creative egos out of joint because the storyboard was not good enough.
- We will practice what we preach.
- We will limit emails and use the phone to reach out to people.
- We will always put client first regardless of the downside effect to our internal goals.
- We will become a better firm for our community of business partners.
As a business owner why not join me in your own "Occupy (My)Your Business" - Start an Occupy Movement within your business to achieve change for the good - Measureable and Deliverable Change.
Just think, if enough small business owners undertake and participate in this movement, it may grow and then spread to mid-sized companies, maybe even large corporations and sooner or later to government! Wow, I feel like the 60's again -"Right On"! [excuse that flashback]
THE Official Bill Simmel, Phoenix ONE "Occupy My Business" Movement Starts Today,
Care to Join Me and Pay It Forward. Coming soon: occupymybusiness.org